The term "technical design" indicates the fundamental construction of complex machines and production plants.
As the individual milling machines distinguish the most, the technical design is often related to the technical type of the milling machine. A further criterion distinguishing the technical design are the input- and output dimensions of the workpieces.
- Distinction based on workpiece dimension:
- Line for construction wood: finger jointing line for the processing of great input lengths (normally from about 1,50 m) and the production of output lengths from about 6m and more.
- Line for short wood: finger jointing line for the processing of short input lengths (normally under about 1,50m, approximately about 400-600 mm) and the production of output lengths up to 6m.
- Distinction based on technical construction:
- Package system: The most common type of finger jointing lines.The workpieces are milled together in one package.
- Compact type: Finger jointing line, on which a milling machine,a press and the gluing are combined within one unit.
- Feed through line: The term "feed through line" is especially referring to the milling machine. It does not only work cyclically but in continuously through feed. The press rarely works in the through-feed.
- Individual machines: Designates a plant, which consists of individual machines, that are independant from each other and not chained.
The decisive factor for the choice of the technical design of a panel saw can be:
- Type and quantity of the workpieces to be processed
- Type and organisation of material in- and output/ storage/ further processing
- Organisational criteria
- Spatial conditions
Depending on application range a difference is made between: